Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Just A Pie Before I Sleep

I had some pie dough in the refrigerator, left over from the weekend. I made a batch, and by batch I mean, enough dough for a double-crust pie or two single-crust pies, because we were having friends over, not once, but twice in one day and I thought I'd have time to make two pies. Wrong! As it was, I finished one pie, sweet potato, mere moments before the first round of guests arrived. Fortunately for me, the second round was a little smaller than we'd anticipated and the one pie sufficed.

But that left me with dough for another pie! What to make? Well, there are always eggs on hand, so why not egg custard? 

Sudden Realization 

Last night, while baking said egg custard pie, I realized that all our lives, because of my Nana, we've been using an oxymoron. Custard is made with eggs, so an "egg custard" pie is kind of redundant. But tradition is tradition, so...Egg Custard Pie!

Sudden Realization Ends 

I'm beginning to get the hang of this pie, so there wasn't too much drama in the making. I still scald the milk, despite the fact that it's completely unnecessary. I just like using my candy thermometer, and the repetitive stirring is kind of soothing. 

Because the baking dish I chose is a shallow one, I had enough dough for a second, small pie. I did that on purpose because I wanted to have something to give Michele to take to work as a snack this morning. And since she went to be way before I did, it will be a surprise!

I love this baking dish!
Tiny pie...just for my Love.
My goal is to always try to improve whatever pastry I decide to keep in my repertoire, so I tweak here and there to see what works. This time I ended up coating the crusts completely with the egg white wash, even the edges. I really don't like the way it makes the edges look. They took on that kind of varnished look of so many mass produced pies, so I'll be careful to only coat the bottom and the sides from now on.

My next post will definitely be about our Lisbon adventure!

Currently listening to: Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Just A Song Before I Go





0 comments:

Post a Comment